Closing Date: 15/August/2017
Consultancy: Green Economy
Department: UN Environment Office for Latin America
Location: Panama Office
Duration: 12 months with possibility of extension
Contribute to the delivery of the UN Environment Office for Latin America and the Caribbean on advisory services on green economy to the Latin American and the Caribbean countries, in particular supporting the ongoing projects in Guyana and the Pacific Alliance.
UN Environment is implementing regional initiatives on Inclusive Green Economy approaches in Latin America and the Caribbean which involves a set of activities related to research, trainings, workshops, economy advisory services, and partnerships, as well as the implementation of national strategies on Green Economy with inter-ministerial and multi-stakeholder cooperation. UN Environment is seeking for an economist to support these activities on inclusive green economy in Latin America and the Caribbean region. This consultancy is located in the UN Environment Office for Latin America and the Caribbean, based in Panama City
EXPECTED PRODUCTS AND OUTPUTS
The main activities to be carried out within the framework of this consultancy are:
1. Provide technical support and economic expertise and guidance in the delivery of the Green State Development Strategy Project in Guyana, this includes the following activities:
- Provide support to UN Environment in the coordination and follow up of the work plan and activities of the Green State Development Strategy (GSDS) project in Guyana, ensuring that activities are delivered on time, communication is flowing among relevant national and international partners and experts, colleagues within UN Environment and the UN Country Team.
- Carry out research and contribute to the drafting of some chapters of the strategy (GSDS) related to green economy and finance.
- Provide guidance and technical inputs on the various documents prepared by other external consultants for the elaboration of the GSDS, including the thematic papers for the different chapters of the GSDS and to the multiple drafts of the strategy.
- Supporting the planning and organizing of workshops, seminars and capacity building activities with relevant partners, as requested.
- Provide inputs to the outreach and communication tools – press release, infographics, videos, among others.
- Undertake some field missions in Guyana to support elaboration of the GSDS and the multi-stakeholder consultation process.
2. Support the Green Economy activities of the Pacific Alliance and advisory services on Inclusive Green Economy at the national and regional levels, this includes the following activities:
- Provide support to the Alliance Pacific´s Green Growth Platform (Chile, Colombia, Mexico and Peru), sharing information and best practices, ensuring UN Environment participation, inputs and contributions to the work plan of the platform; and build cooperation with the Green Growth Knowledge Platform and other UN Environment activities related to Green Economy and resource efficiency.
- Conceptualize and develop macroeconomic and sectoral assessments and analysis in selected countries (mainly Pacific Alliance), including, where needed, identifying and retaining experts and institutions to assist with producing economic studies and reports.
- Carry out research, analyze and present economic data and information gathered from diverse sources; and provide inputs to relevant documents, reports and information documents of the Green Growth platform of the Pacific Alliance.
- Identify funding opportunities on Inclusive Green Economy and prepare joint project proposals.
3. Act as liaison with the Barbados Green Economy Hub and other countries in the region who are carrying out activities on inclusive green economy, this includes the following activities:
- Contribute to the design and production of high-quality promotion and communication material adapted to the context of Latin America and the Caribbean.
- Promote and ensure synergies within the different projects and initiatives of the Resources and Markets Branch from UN Environment ´s Economy Division. This includes, but it is not limited to SPPEL project, 10YFP Programme and ongoing SCP activities in the region.
- Assist in identification and mobilization of local or regional funding opportunities for green economy and resources efficiency in the region.
HOW TO APPLY
For further details, please see the Job Description.
Applicants are requested to submit the application by 15 August 2017.