Closing Date: 31 July 2017
Consultancy: Corporate Sustainability Reporting Statistics
Department: SDG Data and Information Unit, Science Division, UN Environment
Location: Home-based, with some travel
Remuneration: Determined by proposal against scope of work and in line with United Nations financial rules and regulations
Duration: 1 October 2017 – 31 January 2018 (approximately 40 working days)
Private sector engagement and responsibility is an essential component of achieving sustainable consumption and production. The importance of private sector engagement has been recognized across the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development. Additionally, the Sustainable Development Goal framework includes a dedicated target and indicator on corporate sustainability reporting. The specific indicator, for which UN Environment is the Custodian in collaboration with UN Conference on Trade and Development (UNCTAD), is:
12.6.1 Number of companies publishing sustainability reports
As the custodian UN Environment is responsible for developing a final methodology for measuring this indicator; collaborating with UNCTAD and partners to ensure that the methodology takes into account previous experiences; working with countries to ensure that the methodology meets the needs of countries across the world; and finally, for developing a mechanism for global monitoring. In this context, the Science Division and the Economy Division of UN Environment are hiring a consultant to conduct a desk review, 2 case studies and proposing a draft methodology for this indicator. The final products will include:
- A white paper on a proposed methodology for measuring the number of sustainability reports. The paper should include a proposed definition of ‘sustainability reports’ including the key elements that are needed in such a report. These key elements may differ by company size and industry. The paper should also include a summarization of progress on this indicator. The paper should also include a draft guidance aimed at countries wishing to establish or improve their national monitoring of sustainability reports.
- Two case studies should be led by the consultant, in collaboration with UN Environment staff and relevant national sectorial ministries and agencies, to build knowledge on the application of the methodology and to better understand the role of national reporting databases.
The consultant will also participate in a global expert group meeting which will provide an opportunity to obtain feedback on the products described above.
Under the direct supervision of the SDG Data and Information Unit, Science Division and Consumption and Production Unit, Economy Division, the consultant will complete the following objectives:
- Review available literature and methodology;
- Contribute to the development of an initial proposal for measuring the number of sustainability reports
- Develop an approach for conducting country case studies; Conduct country case studies in two countries; Present findings at an expert group meeting; and Integrate results from case studies, expert experiences and the literature review as the basis for developing the white paper.
Expected products and outputs
- An inception note should be submitted 3 days after the start of the contract. The note will comprise: a) the Contractor’s understanding of the consultancy and associated tasks; b) identification of issues crucial to the viability of the consultancy; and c) comments on this TOR and report outline.
- A schedule for the country missions should be agreed within 1 week of the start of the contract.
- Case study reports should be provided within 1 week of completing each country missions.
- A draft white paper should be provided midway through the contract. The final white paper should be provided at the end of the contract.
- A presentation to an expert group meeting on corporate sustainability reporting.
HOW TO APPLY
For further details, please see the Job Description.
Applicants are requested to submit the above package of items under “Proposals and Queries” by 30 July 2017 electronically to email@example.com with the subject “Corporate Sustainability Reporting TOR”
Due to the volume of applications, only candidates under positive consideration will be contacted.