The Global Green Growth Institute (GGGI) is seeking an internationally recognized green growth leader for an Assistant Director-General role to lead the Investment and Policy Solutions (IPSD) Division. The successful candidate will hold a Ph.D. in a relevant field and bring the professional experience that combines intellectual and managerial leadership in the field of green growth.
The GGGI, a new and innovative international intergovernmental organization, based in Seoul, Republic of Korea, with offices in nearly 30 countries and a staff of 300 committed to strong, inclusive green growth. We assist developing and emerging countries with integrating their ambitions for strong economic performance and environmental sustainability with the goal of bringing about poverty reduction, job creation, social inclusion, and climate change mitigation and adaptation.
GGGI has a diverse portfolio of programs in developing countries around the world. These in-country programs, together with global products and services, focus on delivering results through an integrated approach of evidence-based green growth planning and implementation aligned to countries’ development priorities. The organization also focuses on knowledge development and management activities which build a strong theoretical and empirical basis for green growth, while providing concrete options and guidance for policymakers; as well as building the conditions for public and private green infrastructure investments.
Champion the policy, practice, financing and knowledge management of “green growth” as an approach to implement the Paris Agreement on Climate Change and the UN Sustainable Development Goals, with GGGI as the leading international organization, through policy & strategic advice to countries and project-pipeline development.
Plans, develops and assists in directing all aspects of the IPSD division as per above.
Design and implement the Division’s strategy, work programme and budget in the context of IPSD overall value offering
Establishes operating policies and procedures and evaluates operating results
Directs IPSD in program management and/or operations support
- Reflect IPSD perspective in the GGGI Management Team, contribute to GGGI’s overall management and strategy shaping, communicate management decision to IPSD staff
- Formulate, recommend and lead proactive strategies and approaches for business development and help position GGGI as an accountable and trusted partner to stakeholders
- Identify synergies among departments both within IPSD and between IPSD and the Green Growth Planning & Implementation Division (GGP&I) as well as with other relevant departments/divisions
- Model GGGI’s unique approach to green growth and represent the work of GGGI to external audiences through global engagement with member countries, in conferences and at high-level events
- The strategic planning, implementation, and support delivery of GGGI projects and programs in the partner countries within GGGI’s strategic framework, “proactively engage” with stakeholders through utilizing the work of the Thought Leadership, Thematic sectors and Green Investment Services teams lead to maximize in-country program results.
- The position requires a person with an international reputation as a leading thinker and innovator in sustainable development, green growth, climate resilient development and/or low-carbon economies.
As a senior member of the Management Team responsible for:
- Achieving GGGI’s strategic objectives by converting them into implementable projects and programs, through effective management and integration of human and financial resources across the business lines
- Framing and timely communicating the organization’s strategy, programs and projects, intellectual and research agendas internally and externally
- Proactively identifying and soliciting funding and GGGI membership within the strategic framework
- Balancing divisional and organizational needs to establish and then accomplish the expected results
- Identifying donors and expanding donor relationship to include private sector
- Representing GGGI in external settings to promote green growth and GGGI’s work and to provide leadership and input into global debates around green growth, ensuring that GGGI is at the fore of international thinking
- Working with the Management Team to create and maintain an organizational culture of innovation and continuous learning which understands and recognizes the intrinsic value in the diversity of GGGI staff; and
- Leading and implementing any other key organizational initiatives and work as deemed necessary by the Director-General
- Minimum of 15 years of relevant professional experience that combines intellectual and managerial leadership in the field of green growth, preferably combining public, private and/or academic experience, with ample international development finance experience, and progressively more senior managerial roles.
- Ph.D. in a relevant field such as environmental economics, development finance, natural resources management, international development, public policy, or another relevant green growth-related field is strongly preferred; combined with a track record of relevant publications in the academic literature as well as the media, and a profile as an international speaker at key events related to green growth.
- International experience advising governments in key areas of national development policy and implementation highly desirable
- Highly experienced in catalyzing and leading partnerships that engage the private sector, multilateral, bilateral and non-governmental organizations in the areas of international development and/or environmental cooperation
- Experience developing green growth investment proposals (bankable projects) in developing countries
- Experience in the management of partnership and donor relationships with international organizations,
- Experience of business development, donor expansion and strategic planning
- Excellent communications skills in English, both orally and in writing; and agility for various traditional and modern communication modalities
- Experience in effectively managing in a matrix management organization highly desirable
- Experience in several different continents and exposure to development and climate-related agencies
- Extensive track record of effectively engaging stakeholders and mobilizing resources from the public and/or private sector, in areas such as energy, water, agriculture, urban development, waste management, etc.