Organization: African Development Bank Group
Duty station: Côte d’Ivoire, Africa
Closing date: 18 April 2019
The African Development Bank Group (AfDB) is looking for a Principal Strategy and Policy Officer - Infrastructure and Private Sector in Côte d’Ivoire, Africa.
Established in 1964, the African Development Bank is the premier pan-African development institution, promoting economic growth and social progress across the continent. There are 80 member states, including 54 in Africa Regional Member Countries. The Bank’s development agenda is delivering the financial and technical support for transformative projects that will significantly reduce poverty through inclusive and sustainable economic growth. In order to sharply focus the objectives of the Ten Year Strategy (2013 – 2022) and ensure greater developmental impact, five major areas (High 5s) have been identified for scaling up, namely; energy, agro-business, industrialization, integration and improving the quality of life for the people of Africa.
The Senior Vice-Presidency complex (SNVP) is responsible for supporting the President in the day-to-day management of the Bank Group to achieve it strategic objective, and drive performance culture that will align all processes and systems to deliver high impact results. The SNVP will provide effective leadership and exceptional coordination to ensure implementation and monitoring of key corporate decisions as well as the identification of necessary corrective measures and actions. The SNVP leads senior management discussions, decisions-making process and the implementation of key board and management decisions.
THE HIRING DEPARTMENT:
The Strategy and Operational Policy Department (SNSP) plays a key role in shaping a corporate vision and a strategic perspective for the African Development Bank as well as developing the operational policies aimed at guiding the Bank’s agenda.
The primary roles of the department are: (i) to develop and help maintain (along with other units) corporate strategies and operational policies necessary for the Bank to deliver according to the spirit of its Charter and in line with the Bank’s 2013-2022 Strategy, the High 5 priorities, and other strategies; (ii) to play a prominent role in keeping the Bank a strategy-focused organization in line with its policies; (iii) to support the Bank in raising its profile and engaging strategically at international fora, as well as to foster cross-fertilization and greater coordination with other MDBs ; and, (iv) to lead the Bank in the development of a new culture of innovation and change, including the incubation of new financial/non-financial products and business lines.
The key objectives of the position of the Principal Strategy and Policy Officer will be:
- Provide support to the Bank’s operations with particular focus on private sector and infrastructure
- Contribute to SNVP efforts to ensure policy and strategic focus in decision-making across the various Departments, and the improved alignment of resources with strategic priorities, with a focus on private sector and infrastructure issues.
- Provide strategic and technical guidance on Bank’s operations and documents (i.e. Project Concept Notes (PCNs), Project Appraisal Reports (PARs), Country Strategy Papers (CSPs), and Regional Integration Strategy Papers (RISPs), among other.
Duties and responsibilities:
Under the supervision of the Manager– Corporate Strategy and Policy, the Principal Strategy and Policy Officer will perform the following:
- Participate as part of the core SNSP team in corporate strategy development and its subsequent monitoring, updating and refinement in line with sustainable lending and resource options.
- Conduct or facilitate policy analysis to ensure coherence of advice to country programmes (CSPs), project design and implementation support.
- Lead in the preparation of specific analytical products that are conducive to a better understanding of the policy agenda that underpins African Development Bank projects.
- Conduct or facilitate policy analysis of the different dimensions of infrastructure to ensure coherence of advice to country programmes (CSPs), project design and implementation support.
- Support operational sector departments in developing, and consolidating sector-specific strategies and policies.
- Contribute to the preparation of the mid-term reviews and periodical and special updates and reports.
- Contribute to the preparation of Board documents on selected process enhancement recommendations.
- Support the formulation of the strategic policy objectives, ensure alignment with the strategic planning orientation and the Bank Strategy.
- As part of the core SNSP team, ensure that all new policy proposals and strategic initiatives are aligned with the Bank’s planning directions and strategy, including the High 5s and the TYS 2013-2022.
- Provide support to the office of the President as required, in particular on recent policy developments, and on the Bank’s response to emerging international issues.
- Provide, as requested, up to date research on environment and business trends and keep up to date on new ways of doing strategic planning.
- Participate (on behalf of the SNSP Department) to the preparation of selected Bank’s country and regional strategies and mid-term reviews.
- Serve as a focal point on issues related to infrastructure and private sector to internal and external constituencies and expert strategy groups.
- Other duties as required by the Department.
Including desirable skills, knowledge and experience:
- Hold at least a Master's degree or its equivalent in economics, Macroeconomics or Development Economics,finance, strategic management, Engineering or related development fields and a broad knowledge of development issues.
- Have a minimum of six (6) years of relevant experience, specifically hands-on experience in development of strategic documents and policy guidelines in the areas of infrastructure development, private sector development, or related areas. Proven combination of hands-on operational experience with solid analytical skills.
- Good understanding of development economics and specificities of Regional Members Countries.
- Experience with multilateral development banks and international organizations is an asset.
- Having private sector experience will be an added advantage.
- Solid experience in leading and coordinating the development of corporate policies, strategies and other directional documents.
- Experience and exposure to infrastructure and private sector policy and operational issues, and ability to provide advice, assistance, and coaching on strategy and policy concerning infrastructure and private sector related issues.
- Ability to think laterally and independently.
- High level skills in communication and negotiation as well as ability to build partnerships with a broad range of clients and deliver results that meet the needs and long-term interest of clients within and outside the Bank.
- Ability to work collaboratively with several teams of multi-cultural backgrounds, both internally and externally to the Bank.
- Ability to manage multiple and simultaneous and shifting demands, priorities and tight deadlines.
- Innovation and creativity.
- Client orientation.
- Problem solving.
- Team working and relationships.
- Operational effectiveness.
- Ability to communicate effectively (written and oral) in English or French, preferably with a working knowledge of the other.
- Competence in the use of standard MS office applications (Word, Excel, Access, and PowerPoint) and preferably SAP.
THIS POSITION IS CLASSIFIED INTERNATIONAL STATUS AND ATTRACTS INTERNATIONAL TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT.
Should you encounter technical difficulties in submitting your application, please send an email with a precise description of the issue and/or a screenshot showing the problem, to: HR Direct HRDirect@AFDB.ORG.
To apply for this position, you need to be national of one of AfDB member countries.