The Green Growth Knowledge Platform (GGKP) is proud to welcome the Rockefeller Foundation Economic Council on Planetary Health as a new partner in green growth knowledge.
Hosted by Oxford Martin School, the Rockefeller Foundation Economic Council on Planetary Health is championing the field of planetary health – a new, multi-disciplinary approach to health and well-being that brings together scientific knowledge of human and ecosystem health with knowledge around economic trends, market behaviour, and policy-making.
Over the next two years, the Council will work towards: identifying the key economic policy reforms required to protect human health in an era of global environmental change; developing policy recommendations and a decision-making framework that balances economic development with ecosystem protection while promoting human health and well-being, and providing leaders and policymakers with economic data for protecting human health through the preservation of earth's natural systems.
By end of 2019, the Council is expected to produce a report that would spotlight the key economic policy reforms towards which world leaders must strive. Recommendations of the Council will be disseminated to G20 leaders, to the annual Davos meeting of the World Economic Forum, to the United Nations General Assembly, and other platforms in aim of achieving real and measurable economic impact and policy change.
The Council includes leaders from academia, government, and multilateral and civil society institutions across eight countries. Chaired by Ernesto Zedillo, Yale University professor and former President of Mexico, Council members include:
- Scott Barrett, Lenfest-Earth Institute Professor of Natural Resource Economics, Columbia School of International and Public Affairs
- Gro Harlem Brundtland, former Prime Minister of Norway and Director-General of the WHO
- Luisa Diogo, former Prime Minister of Mozambique
- Christiana Figueres, former Executive Secretary of the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC)
- Sir Andy Haines, former Director, London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine; Chair of The Rockefeller Foundation-Lancet Commission on planetary health
- Jacob Lew, former U.S. Treasury Secretary
- Carlos Nobre, former Secretary of R&D Policies at the Ministry of Science, Technology and Innovation of Brazil
- Lord Nicholas Stern, IG Patel Professor of Economics and Government, London School of Economics
- Mark Tercek, President and CEO, The Nature Conservancy
The GGKP looks forward to disseminating the Council’s findings and more with our green growth community.