Applied Energy has issued a call for papers that focus on methods to measure to what extent countries can industrialize while developing a sustainable energy sector and improving inclusiveness. The paper will feature in a special issue of the journal on "Inclusive and sustainable industrial development and measurement approaches for energy transformation".
The special issue aims to show the academic and policy community how different methodological techniques for the construction of composite indices for inclusive and sustainable industrialization can support the design and monitoring of industrial energy strategies and energy policies. It will be guest edited by staff members of the United Nations Industrial Development Organization (UNIDO) and researchers of the Forschungszentrum Jülich (Jülich Research Centre, one of the largest interdisciplinary research centres in Europe).
Call for Papers
Papers should support reflection on how to reconcile industrial policy with energy policy and, to a broader extent, with environmental policies beyond the energy and climate change boundary.
- Methods to measure to what extent countries can industrialize by preserving a sustainable energy sector and by improving inclusiveness.
- Different approaches to construct composite energy indices capturing the economic, environmental and social indicators of industrialization and dealing with trade – offs among these dimensions.
- The papers of the special issue are aimed at bringing the attention of the academic and policy community on how different methodological techniques for the construction of composite indices for inclusive and sustainable industrialization can support the design and monitoring of industrial energy strategies and energy policies.
- The papers should support the reflection on how to reconcile industrial policy with energy policy and to a broader extent with environmental policies beyond the energy and climate change boundary.
Submission Format and Guideline
This Special Issue solicits original work on green industry. All submitted papers must be clearly written in excellent English and contain only original work, which has not been published by or is currently under review for any other journals or conferences. Papers must not exceed 25 pages (one-column, at least 11pt fonts) including figures, tables, and references. A detailed submission guideline is available as “Guide to Authors” at: http://www.journals.elsevier.com/applied-energy
All manuscripts and any supplementary material should be submitted through Elsevier Editorial System (EES): http://ees.elsevier.com/apen/default.asp.
Authors must select “VSI: Energy Transformation” when they reach the “Article Type” step in the submission process. All papers will be peer-reviewed by at least two independent reviewers. Requests for additional information should be addressed to the editors.
Inclusive and Sustainable Industrial Development
Inclusive and sustainable industrial development (ISID) enhances and reinforces economic growth and diversification in a socially inclusive and environmentally sustainable manner guided by four overarching principles:
- No one is left behind in benefiting from industrial growth and prosperity is shared among all parts of the society as industry creates the wealth needed to address critical social and humanitarian needs;
- Every country is able to achieve a higher level of industrialization in their economies, and benefits from the globalization of markets for industrial goods and services;
- Broader economic and social progress is supported within an environmentally sustainable framework;
The concept of inclusive and sustainable industrial development is reflected by the SDG 9 “Build resilient infrastructure, promote inclusive and sustainable industrialization and foster innovation countries”. The underlying idea is that countries need to activate industry as an engine of growth but not at the expense of social indicators and sustainability.
About Applied Energy
Applied Energy is a peer-reviewed academic journal established in 1975 and published by Elsevier. It provides a forum for information on innovation, research, development and demonstration in the areas of energy conversion and conservation, the optimal use of energy resources, analysis and optimization of energy processes, mitigation of environmental pollutants, and sustainable energy systems. It is one of the most respected journals in this field.
Applied Energy provides a range of author services, such as free PDFs, a liberal copyright policy, and special discounts on Elsevier publications. Please see the Guide for Authors for information on article submission or visit the Applied Energy Support Center for further information.
About UNIDO's work on inclusive and sustainable industrial development
UNIDO is leading knowledge creation on inclusive and sustainable industrial development, the core of the Organization’s mandate, and a concept reflected in Sustainable Development Goal 9 - “Build resilient infrastructure, promote inclusive and sustainable industrialization and foster innovation countries”. The underlying idea is that countries need to activate industry as an engine of growth but not at the expense of social indicators and sustainability.
UNIDO is continuing to develop and consolidate knowledge on the topic by building on the May 2018 expert group meeting on inclusive and sustainable industrial development indices for SDG9, as well as related green industry challenges, especially in terms of methodologies and policy implications.