Energy is the golden thread that connects economic growth, increased social equity, and an environment that allows the world to thrive. Development is not possible without energy, and sustainable development is not possible without sustainable energy. This online programme will give a comprehensive overview of renewable energy as a means to enable sustainable development at a global scale. It will present the case on how renewable energies represent at the same time an environmental necessity and an economic opportunity. The programme supports the UN Sustainable Energy for All initiative (SE4ALL), which aims to provide universal access to modern energy services; double the global rate of improvement in energy efficiency; and the share of renewable energy in the global energy mix. The course aims to enhance the capacity of local decision makers, energy/sustainable development officers and other personnel to make an informed decision on which renewable energy technologies will meet their own needs or the needs of their countries, communities, villages or neighbourhoods. Through a discussion of key benefits and suitability for a range of applications, together with extensive case studies, the programme aims to provide an overview of clean, secure and sustainable technology options for the development and offer insights into the management of renewable energy projects, from small scale, through to major projects.
This course offered in collaboration with Strathclyde University and UNITAR, aims to enhance the capacity of local decision makers, energy/sustainable development officers and other personnel to make an informed decision on which renewable energy technologies will meet their own needs or the needs of their countries, communities, villages or neighbourhoods. It provides an overview of clean, secure and sustainable technology options and offers insights into the management of renewable energy projects, from small scale, through to major projects.
By the end of the course the participant will be able to:
- Determine how renewable energy technologies can help to drive sustainable development
- Discuss the role that energy plays in advancing the Sustainable Development Goals
- Explain the benefits and drawbacks associated with a range of sustainable technologies and how they may be integrated
- Apply basic principles to determine the most appropriate renewable energy strategy in a given situation
- Compare and assess different business models and their suitability for different energy solutions
- Identify and use tools to overcome barriers achieving sustainable energy goals
- Share best practices of their communities
The course is open to those in the business, non-profit, public and academic sectors who wish to install renewable energy systems in both urban and rural settings or make their contribution to reducing carbon emissions through energy efficiency and use of sustainable energy sources. The course aims to provide delegates with a high-level understanding of the key issues as well as sufficient technical insights to allow them to make informed decisions about technology choices.
- Sustainable Development Officers
- Energy Officers
- Strategic Managers of Planning and Environmental Services
- Community Planning Officers
- Local Authority representatives
- Policymakers and Regulators
- Development Officers
- Social and Economic Development Officers
- Entrepreneurs and private sector players who want to assess opportunities, develop strategies
The programme will begin on 6th September 2017 and run for a duration of 8 weeks. The programme will equip the participant with the understanding and abilities to become more confident within this crucial field. The full course fee is £400. Register before the 21st June 2017.