In promoting and supporting the development of ecoindustrial parks, UNIDO aims to mainstream and upscale the application of Resource Efficient and Cleaner Production (RECP) by businesses and government and contribute to sustainable consumption and production. In 2015, 17 Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) were accepted as a set of targets and indicators by United Nations members to frame their agendas and political policies. Eco-industrial parks can serve as a catalyst to all SDGs (to various extents), but most explicitly to SDG 9, to build resilient infrastructure, promote inclusive and sustainable industrialization, and foster innovation. Numerous publications, tools and studies, delivered with UNIDO support, are directly or indirectly related to the development and implementation of eco-industrial parks. The rationale for this handbook is to bring together the technical experience of UNIDO in developing and implementing EIP projects as well as to provide demonstrated guidance in this area. This handbook is intended to be applicable to:
- Industrial parks in various international contexts with core focus on transition and developing countries
- All development stages of industrial parks (e.g. scoping and concept planning, pre-feasibility and feasibility studies, investment decisions, design and construction, operation, redesign and optimization)
- Industrial parks with different characteristics (e.g. types of industry sectors in park, park size, level of technology development, park management model)
The overall aim of this handbook is to assist private and public sector stakeholders with the practical implementation of eco-industrial park concepts into existing industrial parks (brownfields) and new industrial parks (greenfields). This handbook aims to:
- Assist practitioners with the implementation of EIPs, covering scoping EIP interventions, awareness raising, policy support, park management models, upscaling resource efficiency and industrial synergies/ symbiosis, performance monitoring and benchmarking, and contribution to sustainable cities.
- Summarize the success factors which are important to consider when implementing EIP approaches.
- Clearly outline the implementation steps of EIP development. • Introduce practical tools available to support the implementation of EIPs.
- Present practical examples to illustrate lessons learned and benefits from international experiences.
- Raise awareness of the benefits and added value of EIPs, including alignment with international priorities such as the Sustainable Development Goals, climate change mitigation and sustainable and inclusive industrial development.