Gender and Adaptation Planning in the Agricultural Sectors — Uganda Case Study 2017
This case study chronicles Uganda’s experiences developing a gender‑responsive National Adaptation Plan for the Agricultural Sector (NAP-Ag) and related capacity development for gender-responsive planning, budgeting and policy formulation. Lessons learned from these endeavors can provide insights for other countries who are seeking, like Uganda, to align NAP or agricultural sector NAP efforts with national goals as well as the Paris Agreement (Article 7.5), which mandates gender-responsive adaptation actions and capacity-building activities.
Uganda’s experiences developing a gender‑responsive NAP-Ag and related adaptation actions suggest the need to:
- Engage a deliberate gender lens at every level to identify and analyse gender gaps and build on qualitative and quantitative evidence of gender‑based vulnerabilities and impacts.
- Recognize the important role of women, men and youth as change agents in agricultural adaptation, not only as vulnerable groups.
- Address structural gender challenges, unequal gender relations and power dynamics, including the lack of ownership of land and other production assets, unequal division of labour and inequitable decision‑making, that inhibit adaptation technologies and practices by women.
- Align with national gender plans and other related policies, such as finance, planning and climate change, and global climate and development goals and agreements (e.g. Paris Agreement, Sustainable Development Goals).
- Stipulate clear gender-responsive actions with a costed genderresponsive budget and a gender‑responsive performance monitoring framework.
- Strengthen stakeholder capacity, supported by gender experts, to address gender in adaptation planning processes.
Related Case Studies
- Resource 2102 Apply Resource filter
- Person 631 Apply Person filter
- Learning resource 428 Apply Learning resource filter
- News 378 Apply News filter
- Event 325 Apply Event filter
- Blog 265 Apply Blog filter
- Project 255 Apply Project filter
- Case Studies 223 Apply Case Studies filter
- BIG-E 123 Apply BIG-E filter
- National Documents 117 Apply National Documents filter
- Organization 78 Apply Organization filter
- Hero Feature 57 Apply Hero Feature filter
- Page 19 Apply Page filter
- Multimedia 8 Apply Multimedia filter
- Webform 2 Apply Webform filter