The UN Economic Commission for Europe (UNECE) commits to foster resource efficiency by supporting assessments of the water-food-energy-ecosystem nexus in transboundary basins. Under the framework of the UNECE Convention on the Protection and Use of Transboundary Watercourses and International Lakes (Water Convention), the UNECE will identify synergies between the water, food, energy and ecosystem sectors in transboundary basins. It will do so on the basis of the methodology developed under the Convention. UNECE will also determine policy measures and actions that could alleviate negative consequences related to the multiple needs of the riparian countries for common resources and help to optimise the use of available resources, thereby fostering transboundary cooperation. UNECE will help countries move towards increased efficiency in resource use, greater policy coherence and intersectoral co-management. It will also develop capacity in addressing intersectoral impacts, including by disseminating lessons from the nexus basin assessments. The commitment will reduce negative impacts on transboundary waters, reduce the potential for conflict, promote more efficient resource use, and improve policy coherence.
The commitment falls under focus area 2 of the Batumi Initiative to promote the internalisation of negative externalities and the sustainable use of natural capital.
Implementing partners will include Finland as lead Party, FAO, European Commission, Member States and river basin organisations of UNECE Sustainable Energy and Trade Programmes, non-governmental organisations, research institutes, and academia.
- Resource 1734 Apply Resource filter
- Person 565 Apply Person filter
- News 340 Apply News filter
- Learning resource 285 Apply Learning resource filter
- Project 229 Apply Project filter
- Blog 222 Apply Blog filter
- Event 199 Apply Event filter
- Best Practices 187 Apply Best Practices filter
- BIG-E 118 Apply BIG-E filter
- Organization 62 Apply Organization filter
- Hero Feature 57 Apply Hero Feature filter
- Page 18 Apply Page filter
- Multimedia 8 Apply Multimedia filter
- Webform 1 Apply Webform filter