India is on track to become the third largest road transportation market in the world by 2020, driven by strong economic growth and rapid urbanization. Electric mobility is a sustainable solution for the future that has the potential to enhance India’s national energy security and contribute to green economic growth by reducing pollutants and dependence on fossil fuels. Himachal Pradesh (HP), a hill state in North India, has evolved rapidly in terms of economic growth and holds the promise of considerable progress owing to its rich natural resource base. However, at the same time, HP is confronted with mobility related challenges, such as the growing number of private vehicles and an influx of tourists.
GGGI has supported the State Government of Himachal Pradesh in developing and implementing its Green Growth Strategy and established a business case for introduction of electric vehicles, a first in the country. GGGI also supported the state with a pre-feasibility assessment for deployment of battery powered electric buses for public transport, with a focus on technical, environmental, and socio‑economic relevance.
Related Best Practices
- Resource 1619 Apply Resource filter
- Person 474 Apply Person filter
- News 317 Apply News filter
- Learning resource 250 Apply Learning resource filter
- Project 229 Apply Project filter
- Blog 205 Apply Blog filter
- Best Practices 185 Apply Best Practices filter
- Event 170 Apply Event filter
- BIG-E 116 Apply BIG-E filter
- Organization 59 Apply Organization filter
- Hero Feature 57 Apply Hero Feature filter
- Page 17 Apply Page filter
- Multimedia 8 Apply Multimedia filter